What is Cancer or Tumor
Healthy cells in our bodies are always dividing and replacing old cells in a very controlled fashion. According to scientists, about 10 million cells in a human body die and are replaced every second.
When this process of controlled multiplication of cells become uncontrolled and does not stop it leads to cancer.
This cluster of cells which is dividing uncontrollably is called a Tumor. Tumors can be of 2 types:
- Benign or noncancerous tumors: They stop growing, do not spead to other parts of the body and do not give rise to new tumors.
- Malignant or cancerous tumors: They grow and croud out healthy cells, interfere with functions of the body and suck nutrients from body tissues. They also spead and form new tumors in other parts of the body. This process of spreading of tumor to other parts of the body is called metastasis.
Malignant or cancerous tumors are further divided into 4 types:-
- Carcinomas: These are the most common and usually affect breasts, skin, lungs, pancreas and other glands and organs.
- Lymphomas: These are cancers affecting the lymphatic system.
- Leukaemia: These are cancers of the blood; they do not form solid tumors.
- Sarcomas: These are rare and involve bone, muscle or cartilage.
Homoeopathy is an amazingly powerful tool to eliminate cancer if used judiciously and in combination with conventional treatment. In conventional treatment aims at killing the tumor or cancer cells while homoeopathy treatment side by side raises the vitality of the patient empowering the body to deal the maliglant tumor or cancer. It also prevents the recurrence of tumor or cancer. Many of my cases have seen reversal of tumors or cancers with complete recovery by the patient. The aim of homoeopathic treatment is healing at all levels – physical, mental, emotional and spiritual.
Conventional treatment involves chemotherapy, radiotherapy and hormone therapy which are associated with side effects.
Side effects of chemotherapy and radiotherapy include fatigue, nausea, vomiting, mouth sores or dryness, hair loss, diarrhoea, difficulty swallowing and increased susceptibility to infections.
Homoeopathy helps in curing side effects during conventional treatment.
Treatment with homoeopathy is a systematic process which is best done by an experienced and professional homoeopath. High level of skill is required to treat cases of tumours or cancers. Choosing the right homoeopath can make all the difference.
Homoeopathic treatment is extremely safe and without any side effects. In most of the cases it gives best results when used along with other conventional therapies in a synergistic approach. Diagnostic tests are also an important part of the treatment to know the progress in each case.
For treating tumor or cancer we use a number of different methods in every case:
Firstly, we choose medicines which would directly affect the tumor or cancer. This is done by selecting the remedies which cover the local symptom picture of the tumor or cancer itself. Some other symptoms like thirst, bowel movements, perspiration and so on are all considered while selecting the remedies. The main aim of this approach is targeting the tumor or cancer and reversing its growth.
Secondly, we detoxify the body by giving drainage remedies. These remedies are selected after careful analysis of a particular case. These medicines increase drainage of harmful substances from the body through liver, kidneys, urinary tract, skin and lymphatic system. This helps in strengthening the body of the patient which in turns leads to speedier recovery with decreasing tumor or cancer size.
Thirdly, we also aim at choosing the constitutional homoeopathic remedy of the patient. This is done by taking into account his physical, mental, emotional and spiritual symptoms and then selecting the appropriate medicine. The constitutional remedy increases the overall vitality of the patient and thus helps in decreasing the size of the tumor or cancer and ultimately eliminating the growth and preventing further recurrence. The constitutional approach also helps in drainage and detoxification of the body.
Homoeopathic treatment has the following benefits:-
- Reversing the growth of the tumor or cancer.
- Improvement in quality of life.
- Relief in physical and emotional stress, anxiety, isolation and depression.
- Gives the patients a sense of control over their illness and the opportunity to play a role in their own care.
- Alleviates side effects of radiation and chemotherapy.
- Relieves pain, nausea and vomiting associated with cancer.
- Reccurence of cancer or tumor is prevented.
The basic cause of all cancers is change or mutation in the nucleus of a cell which leads to constant uncontrolled cell division.
In a healthy human being the body’s immune system can recognize cells which have turned cancerous and destroy them before they can multiply.
Cancer occurs when some mutant cells evade detection by the immune system and survive.
There are many factors know as risk factors which start or promote this process of constant uncontrolled cell division in a cell:
- Inherited or familial predisposition.
- Tobacco smoking is linked to cancer of the lung, head and neck area, stomach, kidney, bladder, pancreas, cervix and leukaemia.
- Excessive exposure to sun light is linked to cancer of skin.
- Excessive consumption of fat, alcohol, foods that have been pickeled, smoked, charred or cured lead to cancers of gastrointestinal tract, breast, uterus and prostate. Lack of dietary fibre and antioxidants is also a contributory factor.
- Various substances, chemicals and gases found in water, air, foods, tobacco smoke, pesticides, paints, cleaning products are carcinogens.
- Radioactive waste, x-rays, nuclear radiation is also potent risk factors of cancer.
- Certain viruses such as Epstein-Barr, hepatitis-B, HIV and papilloma are also contributory to cancer or tumor.
All the above factors contribute to cancer causation but it is not caused by one single factor alone. Cancer occurs when there is a mix of age, inherited disposition, general health and carcinogenic exposure.
Thus, everybody’s risk profile is unique and complex.
Seven Early Signs of Cancer:-
It is important to diagnose cancer as early as possible because it makes a huge difference in the treatment and its outcome.
To remember these early signs (according to American Cancer Society) we should think of word CAUTION.
- Change in bladder or bowel habits.
- A sore that does not heal.
- Unusual discharge or bleeding.
- Thickening or lump in the breast or elsewhere.
- Indigestion or difficulty in swallowing.
- Obvious change in a wart or mole.
- Nagging cough or hoarseness.
Early diagnosis and treatment is very important because it offers a better chance of cure.
In its initial stage a cancer or a tumor does not exhibit any signs or symptoms. But as it grows in size it becomes easy to detect it.
As it grows it may press upon a nerve and cause pain. It may also cause bleeding by penetrating blood vessels. It may also interfere with body functions by causing obstruction.
The following symptoms usually indicate the presence of cancer:-
- Loss of appetite or weight which cannot be explained.
- A sore that is not healing well.
- Lumps in breasts, testicles or anywhere in the body.
- Pain in the bones which has been there for a long time.
- Tendency to catch repeated infections.
- Any change in color, size, thickness or shape of a mole, wart or mouth sore.
- Persistent hoarseness, cough or sore throat.
- Any change in bladder or bowel habits.
- Chronic headaches.
- Difficulty swallowing or chronic indigestion.
- Chronic low grade fever which may be constant or intermittent.
- Any unusual dischage or bleeding.
The earlier a cancer is diagnosed and treated, the better the chance of its being cured.
The various procedures used are as follows:
- Complete medical history.
- Thorough physical examination.
- Lab investigations of blood, urine and stool.
- The location and size of the tumor can be ascertained with the help of x-rays, ultrasound, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), computed tomography (CT) and endoscopic examinations.
- A biopsy is performed to confirm cancer diagnosis. In this a sample tissue is taken from the suspected tumor with the help of a needle and then it is studied under the microscope for cancer cells.
- If the biopsy is positive then other diagnostic procedures are performed to stage the cancer. It tells about the spread of cancer and also helps in selecting the appropriate treatment option.
- Rest and relaxations are very important.
- Join a cancer support group.
- Keep yourself busy with activities you love like reading books, listening to music, talking to friends and so on. Things like these relax us and surprisingly have therapeutic effect on our health.
- You should also express your emotions; it is very important according to homoeopathic philosophy which even attributes suppressed emotions as one of the major causes of cancer or tumor. There is no need to be happy outside when you have pentup negative emotions inside; please express your true emotions.
- Exercises such as swimming and walking calm the mind as well as strengthen the body. Anxiety, fatigue and muscle tension reduce markedly with exercise.
- Pains can be effectively reduced with the help of yoga or massage given by spouse or a friend.
- One should be very gentle with the skin after radiation therapy. Apply calendula ointment which is very gentle and soothing; it also heals the skin. Do not scrub your skin or expose it to sunlight. Please do not wear tight clothing.
- Instead of eating three heavy meals in a day try to eat small quantities of food at short intervals.
- Nausea can be avoided by eating food at room temperature.
- As chemotherapy and radiation therapy reduces your immunity try to avoid people who are sick.
- Protect yourself from direct sun.
- Dietary supplements should be avoided at all costs. Even too much of vitamins can be harmful.
- Eat lots of fresh vegetables and fruits.
- Integrate whole grains into your diet.
- Avoid smoked, processed, fried, cured or barbecued foods.
- Sugar and fat should be minimum.
- Decrease intake of non vegetarian food items.
- Alcohol should be taken only in moderation.
- Never smoke or chew tobacco.
- Regular exercise is important to keep the body in a fit situation.
- Annual medical checkups are very helpful for cancer screening.
- Avoid carcinogens by not using aerosol cleaning products; wash hands after using cleaning products; open doors and windows to allow fumes of chemicals, paints and stains to escape out.
- Wear protective clothing when using pesticides.